Monday, October 21, 2013

The English Language


I have a confession to make. I used to think the English language was ugly.
    Once my dad, who was born and raised in South Korea, told me why he thought Korean was the most beautiful language in the world. 
    "You can create sounds to describe sensations. The sound of footsteps going up the stairs, the sound of rain on the pavement, the sound of pages turning in a church."
    That always stuck with me. Language is descriptive. When we have the right words to describe what we think, that's beauty right there. It's art. That's why I have tremendous respect for authors, whose jobs are to find those right-fitting words and create something out of them.
    Even though a part of me still thinks English is an ugly language, I appreciate it when I read something beautiful in English. Most people don't use it to its full capacity. When I read something that describes a sensation perfectly, I swoon. It doesn't even have to use complex words. One of my favorite quotes is by Anais Nin: 
    A leaf fluttered in through the window this morning, as if supported by the rays of the sun, a bird settled on the fire escape, joy in the task of coffee, joy accompanied me as I walked.
Isn't it beautiful?

Keep thinking,
Candy

1 comment: